Today is Blog Action Day, where each year a topic is chosen and bloggers and activists worldwide write about that topic in their blogs or post about it on Twitter and Facebook using the tags #FOOD and #BAD11.
This year's topic is Food, and this year many of my students of my BGIedu class Using the Social Web for Social Change are using the day to help kick off their "Beat Blog" assignments. The goal of Beat Blogs is for each student to choose a topic they are passionate about and blog about it at least weekly for two and a half months. Many students decide to keep their blogs going afterwards, am I'm always tickled when that happens.
Some of the blog posts by my students on the topic of Food:
- Make a Connection for Blog Action Day (from Building Stronger Communities Through Sustainable Agriculture, a blog on sustainable agriculture)
- Blog Action Day & Permaculture (from Dave-A-Culture, a blog on permaculture)
- to Meat or not to Meat (from Near the Level, a moderate's blog on polarities)
- Learning What to Eat and What to Believe (from Liz Toots, a blog on digestive health)
- Food, Attention & Leadership (from Attention to Change, a blog on attention)
- Food and Dignity (from Apps for Change, a blog on web-based and mobile applications for good)
- Food Security, Stewardship, and Cross-Cultural Bridge Building (Cultivating Bridges, a blog on intersection of economic community development & faith)
- The Importantance of Fair Trade Chocolate (from Cacao for a Cause, a blog on cacao, sustainability, and conscious consumption)
- Listen to Your Stomach (from Sounds & Silences, a blog on sound, silence and holding space)
- A Solution for Food Deserts (from Rhizome Design Blog, a blog on designing solutions to empower people to radiate joy)
- Social Ignition via Food (from Social Ignition, a blog on empowering non-profits)
- Local Organic Food IS Clean Technology (from Opportunity Knocks for Cleantech, a blog on opportunities in clean tech)
- Good Food. Good Business. (from Spark in the Dark, a blog on living well while living lighter)
- Monsanto's Perfect Pumpkin (from Taryn's GMO Beat, a blog on GMO genetically modified foods)
- We Interrupt Our Regularly Scheduled Programming... (from (ir)Rational minds, a blog on schizophrenia and mental health)
- Redesigning food systems. Redefining impacts. (from Systems Diva (in the Making), a blog on systems thinking)
- Can The Oceans Continue to Feed our Growing Population? (from Follow the Ocean's Heartbeat, a blog on ocean conservation)
- Food and health (care) (from Bodywork Economics, a blog on a business case for health, wellness and preventative therapies)
- Blog Action Day on Food (from ticsnow, a blog on technology innovation creativity and sustainability now)
All of these bloggers are new to the blogosphere, but if you appreciate what they have to say, give a quick comment — it goes a long way to encourage them to continue.